- Contestants may enter one original work in each category unless older than age specified. If no age is given, any age may enter in the category. 2023 categories are:
• Short Story (fiction) by a Child (ages 5-10)
• Short Story (fiction) by a Youth (ages 10-18)
• Short Story (fiction) by an Adult (ages 18 and up)
• Essay (non-fiction short article on any topic except current politics)
• One-Line Story*
- All judges and Lamar Public Library employees are ineligible.
- Work published previously in any copyrighted newspaper, magazine, book or other medium is ineligible. Writing that appeared in school publications may be entered.
- All entries must be made by email. The following information must be written in the email: Name of Author, Phone Number, Birth Date (if entering as a Youth), Entry Category (or we will select best fit), and Title of Entry. Don’t write it on the work, write it in the accompanying email — judging will be blind.
- Each entry should be sent in a separate email.
- Entries without a date of birth will be automatically judged as adult work.
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight on Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
- The contest has begun, so please submit entries at any time.
- No submissions will be returned.
- Winners will be informed via phone or email by July 15, 2023.
- All contestants agree to their entry possibly being posted on the library’s website.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Submission indicates acceptance of all contest rules.
*One-Line Story: A complete story (fiction or nonfiction) on any topic using just one sentence. Examples:
- Dad left; a flag came back.
- Passengers, this isn’t your captain speaking.
- When I looked into my daughter’s eyes for the first time, I realized that, no, my pets had never been my children.
2023 Prizes (prizes and categories may change in following years).
• $100 in the Adult Category
• $75 in the Youth Category
• $25 in the Child Category
• $100 Nonfiction Essay Category
• $75 in the Poetry Category
• $25 in the One-Line Story Category
Judges reserve the right to give additional “Honorable Mention” prizes. Judges reserve the right to define “current politics” in essay category. A category will be canceled if there are fewer than three entries.