2021 Writing Contest Rules
- Contestants may enter one original work in each category unless otherwise specified. If no age is specified, any age may enter in the category.
• Short Story (fiction or nonfiction) by a Youth (ages 10-18)
• Short Story (fiction or nonfiction) by an Adult (ages 18 and up)
• Best First Sentence for a Book*
• Short Short Story (250 words or less)**
- All judges and Lamar Public Library employees are ineligible.
- Work published previously in any copyrighted newspaper, magazine, book or other medium is ineligible. Writing that appeared in school publications may be entered.
- All entries must be made by email. The following information must be written in the email: Name of Author, Phone Number, Birth Date (if entering as a Youth), Entry Category (or we will select best fit), and Title of Entry. Don’t write it on the work — judging will be blind.
- Each entry should be sent in a separate email.
- Entries without a date of birth will be automatically judged as adult work.
- Entries should be emailed to email@example.com no later than 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, June 1, 2021.
- The contest has begun, so please submit entries at any time.
- No submissions will be returned.
- Winners will be informed via phone or email by June 30, 2021.
- All contestants agree to their entry possibly being posted on the library’s website.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Submission indicates acceptance of all contest rules.
*Best Opening Line for a Book — Give us the ORIGINAL opening line you would use for your own masterpiece if you were going to write one. Do NOT enter opening lines from books by other writers. There will not be separate categories for Adult and Youths. Enter as many times as you like in this category. Examples from famous books: “It was the best of times; it was the worst of times…” “It was a dark and story night.” “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
*Short Short Story: A complete story (fiction or nonfiction) on any topic in 250 words or less. There will not be separate categories for Adult and Youths. Stories may appear on our website and on Facebook with the author’s name, unless the author requests in advance not to be named.
• $100 in the Adult Category
• $75 in the Youth Category
• $50 in the Poetry Category
• $25 in the Short Short Story Category
• $15 in the Best Opening Line for a Book Category
Judges reserve the right to give additional “Honorable Mention” prizes.