Click Here for Week 1 Winner
Click Here for Week 2 Winner
Click Here for Week 3 Winner
Click Here for Week 4 Winner
- Contestants may enter one original work in each category unless otherwise specified. If no age is specified, any age may enter in the category.
• Fiction: Short Story by a Youth (ages 10-18)
• Fiction: Short Story by an Adult (ages 18 and up)
• Non-Fiction Short Story
• Six Word Story, Theme: Life Before the Pandemic*
• Short Short Story (250 words or less)**
- All judges and library employees are ineligible.
- Work published previously in any copyrighted newspaper, magazine, book or other medium is ineligible. Writing that appeared in school publications may be entered.
- All entries must be made by email. The following information must be written in the email: Name of Author, Phone Number, Birth Date (if entering as a Youth), and Title of Entry. Don’t write it on the work — judging will be blind.
- Each entry should be sent in a separate email.
- Entries without a date of birth will be automatically judged as adult work.
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 7:00 p.m., Monday, June 1, 2020.
- The contest has begun, so please submit entries at any time.
- No submissions will be returned.
- Winners will be informed via phone or email by June 30, 2020.
- All contestants agree to their entry possibly being posted on the library’s website.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Submission indicates acceptance of all contest rules.
*Six Word Story: Example from Ernest Hemingway: “For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Used.” Example in Life Before Pandemic theme: “Election, Impeachment: the Good Old Days.” There will not be separate categories for Adult and Youths. Enter as many times as you like in this category.
*Short Short Story: A complete story on any topic in 250 words or less. There will not be separate categories for Adult and Youths. Weekly prizes will be awarded if 5 entries are received that week (otherwise it will be included in the next eligible entry period), and will be considered in each week’s contest. Stories will appear on our website and on Facebook with the author’s name, unless the author requests in advance not to be named. Prizes will be paid after the library re-opens. In this category, you can enter once per week.
• $50 in the Adult Category
• $50 in the Youth Category
• $50 in the Nonfiction Category
• $25 in the Poetry Category
• $25 in the Six Word Story Category
• $10 in the Short Short Story Category